It’s the first week of the Bloggy Olympics over at Hating Martha. This week’s event was decorating! I decided to make a wire bulletin board to hang in my future bedroom!
Once I move in to my new apartment, I’m going to have quite a few blank walls to decorate. I love the look of framed pictures, but I have so many pictures I want to display that it doesn’t make sense to frame them all. To solve this little dilemma, I came up with this wire bulletin board.
I made a smaller version of this same thing for a friend last summer and was obsessed with it. Now I have my own! I started with a large, gold frame. The frame used to hang on the wall somewhere in my house, but had been taken down and stored in a closet for a few years, so my mom let me use it.
I decided to go with a bright green color because I knew I was going to distress it a little bit, which would tone down the brightness. It took three coats of paint to cover up the gold. After the green paint dried, I applied the antiquing glaze. If you want to see how I used it, refer to my Distressed Window Mirror post.
I had chicken wire leftover from this same project last year, so this particular one cost me exactly nothing. Woohoo! Anyways… Use a staple gun to attach the chicken wire to the underside of one side of the frame. This sounds much easier than it actually is. Unless you have a miracle staple gun that actually staples in the spot where the staple is supposed to come out, it may take you a while. Thankfully, my mom was there to help me. And by help I might mean she did all the stapling because I got too frustrated after about five minutes and wanted to throw the gun across the room… Not kidding. So yay for Mommy! I did help her though… Or tried to. Stretch it as tight as possible and staple it to the opposite side. It is actually really helpful if you have someone else to hold the wire while you staple. That was my job. Along with providing moral support. Here’s a picture of my staple-gunning-pro mom.
Repeat the stapling and stretching on the other two sides and the hard part is done! Now you can clip pictures, cards, concert tickets, or whatever else you want, on it. I used clothespins as my “clips”.
Let me know if you end up making one of your own! Hopefully your staple gun works better than mine. Despite the difficulties I think it is going to be the perfect, unique decoration for one of the walls in my bedroom and I love it!